As your braces are hard at work creating a beautiful smile, sometimes they can causes mild discomfort. Here are some great tips to keep your teeth and mouth happy!
True orthodontic emergencies are very rare. Many problems that arise you may be able to temporarily fix until your next appointment.
Poking Wire: Using a pencil eraser, push the poking wire down or place wax on it to create a bumper between the wire and your lip. Wax sticks best if the tooth surface is completely dry so use a cotton ball to dry the area well before you apply wax.
Loose Bracket or Band: To avoid popping a bracket or a band, please refer to our “Food to Avoid”. If a bracket does come off, your braces have multiple attachments to your teeth so even with one or two brackets off they still continue to activate. If your bracket or band is still attached, leave it in place and put wax on it. If the bracket or band comes out completely, keep it somewhere safe and bring it to your next appointment. Please call and let us know that you have a missing bracket so we extend your next appointment.
Loose Appliance: If your appliance is poking you, place wax on the offending part of your appliance.
General Soreness: When you get your braces on, you may feel general soreness in your mouth and teeth may be tender. This can be relieved by rinsing with warm salt water. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water and rinse your mouth vigorously. Placing Orabase on the affected area may help; this can be found at your local pharmacy. If the tenderness is severe, take Tylenol or Advil or whatever you normally take for a headache.
If you are still unable to alleviate your discomfort, please call us and we will see you as soon as we can.
Foods to Avoid While Wearing Braces
• Ice (ok to cool beverages, just no crunching)
• Hard edges of pizza
• Corn on the cob (cut the corn off the cob)
• Corn chips (Doritos, Tostitos, etc.)
• All kinds of nuts
• Candy bars that contain nuts (Snickers, Almond Joy, Payday, Heath, etc.)
• Hard kernels of popcorn
• Hard candy
• Ribs (no gnawing on the bone)
• Beef jerky or pepperoni sticks
• You may enjoy apples, carrots and other jaw fruits and vegetables by cutting them into bite size pieces
• Sticky and chewing foods can seriously damage your braces and lengthen your treatment time! (Taffy, carmel, Starbursts, Tootsie Rolls, Now&Laters, Milk Duds, Mambas, Big Hunks, etc.)